Admiral Point History
The centrepiece of the Admiral Point development is a Grade II listed building which was originally called “The Lancashire & North Staffordshire Miners Convalescent Home”.
It was built by Bradshaw Gass & Hope from1925-1927 and opened by the Prince of Wales on 28th June 1927. Originally, the building consisted of 110 bedrooms which the management boasted of offering “hotel standards, with each room having its own washing facilities plus good food and cheerful company”.
Initially the home was for men only, so if they brought their wives with them the wives stopped in the local boarding houses and then met at the gates daily. Much later, bungalows were built in the grounds so that the wives could come and stay with their husbands.
The bungalows were demolished in 2003 making way for Admiral View and Admiral Heights. You will notice the two bowling greens and the bowling hut in this 1929 photograph. There was also a skittle alley (now the underground car park) and a billiard room with three tables to keep the residents occupied, along with the many other attractions Blackpool had on offer as these 1930’s postcards show.